MHS Spay/Neuter Clinics for Cats
In an effort to stem the tide of homeless and unwanted cats and kittens in the Monadnock Region, the Monadnock Humane Society began hosting Spay ASAP clinics in the fall of 2006.
As of September 2010, Monadnock Humane Society is proud to offer affordable sterilization services for cats through our in-house spay/neuter clinic. The cat spay/neuter clinic is open to cat guardians who do not have a veterinarian of their own or can not otherwise afford to spay or neuter their cats.
Cats brought to the clinic are given a basic exam, after which they are spayed (females) or neutered (males) and given distemper complex and rabies vaccines as appropriate. Cats will also have their ears cleaned, nails trimmed, and coats checked for fleas.
The cost is $55 for male cats and $65 for female cats. Flea and ear mite treatments are available for an additional $5 per cat. Microchips are available for $10 per cat (clinic only).
This clinic is open to all healthy cats, including:
• Pregnant cats
• Cats in heat
• Feral cats
• Kittens at least 8 weeks of age
A $25 non-refundable deposit is required to reserve a spot in the clinic. You can register three ways:
1. In person at the MHS Customer Service Desk in Swanzey, Wednesday-Friday, 12-6 PM and Saturday-Sunday 11am-4pm.
2. By phone with a credit card. Call 352-9011 extension 101.
3. By mail with a check for $25 per cat payable to MHS, 101 West Swanzey Road, Swanzey, NH 03446. Be sure to include your name, mailing address, phone number, your cat’s name and gender, and which clinic you would like to register for.
Once you register, you will receive a confirmation form that will tell you the clinic date, where to bring your cat, and important pre-surgical instructions.
After the Clinic
Your cat must be picked up and taken home the same day as the clinic. You will be given a post-surgical care sheet that details what procedures and vaccines your cat received and how to keep your cat comfortable as s/he recovers.
Down the Road
It is very important that you establish a relationship with a full-service veterinary clinic for vaccination boosters and ongoing care for your cat. Regular preventative care is the best way to keep your cat healthy, so you can enjoy a long, happy life with your feline companion.
Sponsor a Spay or Neuter
Want to help cats in your area? Consider a donation to the MHS Spay/Neuter Clinic Fund. All earmarked donations will directly assist cats whose owners are unable to afford the reduced cost of the clinic.
2013 Clinic Dates
- January 10th and 24th
- February 14th and 28th
- March 14th and 28th
- April 11th and 18th
- May 9th and 23rd
- June 6th and 20th
- July 25th
- August 22nd
- September 12th and 26th
- October 10th and 24th
- November 14th
- December 12th
All dates are subject to cancellation or change. Please contact MHS for appointment availability.
Alternate Spay/Neuter Assistance:
NH Animal Population Control Program - "State Plan B"
- Available to: NH Residents who receive, or are eligible for : Food Stamps; Aid to the Needy Blind; Medicaid; Healthy Kids Gold; Old Age Assistance; AFDC; Supplemental Security Income (SSI); Aid to the Permanently and Totally Disabled.
- Costs: $25.00 - Pet owner pays fee directly to the veterinarian. Pre-surgury immunizations are covered up to $30.00.
- Procedure: Obtain a Plan B application by calling the Department of Agriculture: 603-271-3697
N.H. Spaying and Altering Service Program
- Available to: N.H. residents who need financial assistance.
- Costs: Dogs: $70(females), $50 (males), Cats: $50 (females), $35 (males)
- Procedure:Call or write for an application
8 Hutchins St.
Concord, N.H. 03301
(603)224-1361 (call before 2:00pm)
NH Spay/Neuter Hotline (Animal Allies)
- Available To: NH residents who need financial assistance
- Costs: $85 (Female Cats), $50 (Male Cats)
- Contact the NH Spay/Neuter Hotline www.animalallies.org
- (800) 990-SPAY for assistance with low cost spay/neuter appointments for cats
Friends of Animals Program
- Available to: Any cat or dog owner regardless of financial need.
- Costs: Dogs: $75 (females), $54 (males), Cats: $55 (females), $40 (males)
- Procedure: Call or write for an application:
Friends of Animals
PO Box 30054
Hatford, CT 06150
Tel. 1-800-321-PETS (800-321-7387).
- Mail in application with appropriate fee. Upon receipt of certificate, make an appointment with any participating veterinarian. (A list will be sent with your application.)