1875: The Keene Humane Society is formed to provide assistance to abused and neglected animals, women and children in the Keene area.
1914: The Keene Humane Society grows to provide service for all of Cheshire County and is renamed the Cheshire County Humane Society.
1925: Jennie Powers, a strong advocate for those in need, is the Cheshire County Humane Society's humane agent for over 30 years.
1920s - 1930s: Legislation creates state and federal agencies for the protection of women and children. The Humane Society focuses on advocating for the protection of domestic and farm animals.
1950s: Animal cruelty cases consume much of the Society's resources and time. However pet overpopulation becomes a serious problem, with ever increasing numbers of dogs and cats being left by the county's road sides.
1965: MHS constructs the first modern facility in the state built specifically for animal care and sheltering.
1993: With the support of local veterinarians, MHS spays and neuters most animals prior to adoption.
1994 : With the NH Federation of Humane Organizations, MHS spearheads the regional effort to create the New Hampshire State Spay/Neuter fund.
1997: MHS adopts the mission to create a more humane community.
1999: In September MHS breaks ground on the existing Adoption and Learning Center facility.
2000: MHS reaches a goal of ZERO euthanasia for space or treatable illness.
2005: MHS continues to take in 2,000 animals per year.
2008: MHS opens its in-house veterinary clinic, providing spaying/neutering of all cats and dogs prior to adoption.
2010: MHS opens a satellite adoption/retail center in Peterborough.